Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Precipice

I'm on the precipice. I look up and down the block - nothing, no one. It's a quiet neighborhood at nighttime. Every house is shrouded in darkness except the one in question. Lights emanate from inside. Someone is home, waiting. I look down at the address, then back up at the house. Nothing. I take a step closer, on the sidewalk now. Still no visible numbers. Damn. Could this be wrong? There's a chill in the air, nervous goosebumps arise on my bare arms. My heart is pounding. I am motivated to be quick, efficient, but I lack confidence. I take a couple steps closer. Still, nothing. I have to do this, I have to make a choice: guess or snoop.  Commit and maybe I'm wrong. Investigate and maybe I'm caught. 50/50 or 9-1-1. I recall my clothing; a black shirt, dark jeans, a black hat. I'm carrying a conspicuously shaped bag, perfect for the tools of my trade. I take another step. I'm exposed now. A winding path to front doorstep is covered in crunchy leaves. I am exposed and noisy. Where are the damn numbers?  I proceed even closer, the job must get done. As I reach the point of no return, the front door swings open. This is it. Eternity passes as the resident looks me up and down, evaluating my purpose. I stand frozen, unsure. I can only muster one question: "did you order a pizza?" 

5 comments:

  1. Illuminating! I had no idea delivering pizza was such a scary and nerve wracking job. Be careful out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should be writing and playing/coaching soccer! jus sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very hyperthetical. Keep on blogging! Igor

    ReplyDelete
  4. An appropriate Halloween style blog! LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  5. The end made us laugh and the writing is fabulous.Jacob
    Jeremy,delivering pizza is not your cup of tea.Writing is.Grandma Lilia.

    ReplyDelete